Measuring the Economy
Our economic system needs to be updated for a new era. GDP and profitability are increasingly unrelated to how most of us are doing in real life. We need to implement a new set of measures like mental health, happiness, childhood success and quality-adjusted life expectancy that actually indicate our progress as a society and then channel resources to improving them. We don’t exist to serve the market. The market exists to serve us.
Problems to be Solved
- Focus on a single number skews policy directives
- GDP doesn’t take into account economic inequality
As President, I will…
- Expand our measurement tools to account for other human factors that should be used to determine policy
- Let these numbers set our policy focus and set goals against them
- Task government departments with improving performance against various new measurements
- Ensure that income and wealth inequality do not continue to grow in America by adopting Universal Basic Income of $1k/month per adult.