Reduce Mass Incarceration
Our rates of incarceration are 4 times higher than most other industrialized countries, and it’s a national disgrace. People on both sides of the aisle now recognize that our system is badly in need of reform. Our criminal justice system is particularly punitive toward blacks and other minorities. As President I will overhaul the treatment of drug offenses and reduce our rates of incarceration over time.
Problems to be Solved
- Mass incarceration is one of the biggest civil rights issues of our times, and it needs to be addressed so that all have a fair shot a life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
As President, I will…
- Work to end the use of private prison facilities for federal inmates.
- Shift drug policy away from punishment and towards treatment.
- Invest money to fund innovative prison programs that decrease recidivism and increase reintegration.
- Invest money to support businesses that hire felons who have served their prison term.
- Push to reconsider harsh felony laws that prevent those who have served their prison term from reintegrating into society.
- Identify non-violent drug offenders for probation and potential early release.
- Implement Universal Basic Income which will dramatically decrease incentives for criminality and improve the functioning of individuals and communities.