Second Amendment Rights
We are a diverse nation, and that includes our attitudes toward gun usage and ownership. Most Americans agree on common-sense restrictions for criminals and the mentally ill to access guns. As President, I will support sensible regulation of guns, including making it harder to own military-style firearms, while recognizing that the right to bear arms is important to millions of law-abiding Americans. I will also support innovation in firearms, including handprint signature guns that can only be used by the owner.
Problems to be Solved
- The gun debate is dominated by the extremes when most Americans agree that responsible gun-ownership with some restrictions is the proper policy
- Current gun laws have been pushed in a dangerous direction by lobbying groups only looking out for the profits of gun manufacturers
- Technological innovation has been overlooked as a way to curb misuse of guns
As President, I will…
- Propose education requirements for gun ownership.
- Propose a restriction on the sale/purchase of semi-automatic military-style weapons.
- Propose a restriction on the sale of guns to those with:
- A history of violent crime
- A history of domestic abuse
- A mental illness diagnosis where a professional has determined the pose a risk to themselves or others.
- Veto any legislation passed that I believe puts too much of a restriction on a responsible individual to own a gun.
- Support innovation to make firearms more personalized to their owners.